Pre-Planning Your Funeral and Your Legacy
Whether you are planning the bequests you would like to make from your estate or planning for your burial and memorial liturgy, you will be helping to create your legacy by pre-planning for both at the same time.Your legacy is how you would like others to remember you. The Office of Stewardship and Development’s planned giving staff and the Family Service Advisors at Catholic Cemeteries of Northeast Kansas offer planning resources to help you to be remembered and have your burial wishes and bequests honored upon your death.
To begin estate planning your must be ready to be detached enough from your assets to discern to whom you should leave them. To pre-plan your burial requires reflection on your death and dying. Both require the virtue of courage. As Catholics we believe what can seem to be stressful can lead to many graces.
Ecclesiastes 3:2 reminds us of the connection between reflecting on dying and leaving behind our attachment to things:
A time to give birth, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to up-root the plant.
- Familiarize yourself with the activity of pre-planning for a burial and making your bequests known by visiting Cathcemks.org and CatholicPlannedGiving.org.
- Pray for the courage to move forward with the process of pre-planning.
- Review the following helpful planning guides: Estate Planning Guide, Memorial Planning Guide , and the Catholic Guide for End of Life
- Contact Bryan Alonzo at Catholic Cemeteries of Northeast Kansas to schedule a pre-planning consultation with a Family Service Advisor at BAlonzo@cathcemks.org or call 913-371-4040. Visit their Meet the Staff page.
- A good read: The Long View of Stewardship by Sharon Vallejo, President of Catholic Cemeteries of Northeast Kansas READ