Sign up here to stay up to date with the Deaf Ministry
YOUCAT IS LIVE!
New videos are posted each Friday.
The livestreamed Chrism Mass on Tuesday, April 12th, will be interpreted!! Check it out!
See “Mass Schedules” to find out about interpreted Masses for Holy Week 2022!
Check out this AMAZING article from the Leaven about Pat Richey and her awesome service to the deaf community in the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas!
- “But what if I’m not able to go to the Deaf Retreat? I want to share my feedback about my experience as a deaf person within the Catholic Church!” We got you covered! National Catholic Office of the Deaf (NCOD) has developed a survey that you can fill out online. It takes around 30 minutes to fill out from start to finish, and there’s no “pause button” so make sure you have 30 minutes to spare. Here’s the link: https://www.ncod.org/synod-on-synodality-communion-participation-mission/
The Leaven: Deaf ministry office takes ASL Youth Catechism to video
Ep. 84: More Than Words (from Catholic News Agency!)
Monday, October 26 2020
The deaf Catholic community in the US is eager for the faith. In this episode, we take a look at some of the latest resources available to them, and a deaf Catholic priest shares his vocation story. This episode is available in American Sign Language (ASL): https://youtu.be/NW2deh1EEs4
The mission of Deaf Ministry is to facilitate opportunities for people to encounter Jesus, be fully included in the life of the Church, and participate in programs that foster spiritual growth, leadership and family enrichment.
The Office of Deaf Ministry seeks to. . .
Assist persons deaf or hard of hearing in realizing God’s presence in their lives through:
- Signed and interpreted liturgies
- Sacramental preparation
- Spiritual direction
- Annual retreats
- Cursillo and group reunions
- Marriage encounter
- Arranging for interpreters for special occasions – baptisms, weddings, funerals and other events when requested.
Provide ongoing educational opportunities through:
- Adult religious education
- Bible study groups
- Rite of Christian Initiation
- Religious education for students attending the Kansas School for the Deaf
- Assistance to teachers and/or parents of deaf students involved in parish programs
Provide support and assistance through:
- Pastoral visitation to homes
- Pastoral counseling
- Support and referral services
- Visitation to the sick, shut-ins and hospitalized
- Ephpheta Newsletter and monthly bulletins
- Awareness programs about deafness and other disabilities
- Workshops on religious signs
- Service to late-deafened adults
- Resource center
- Advocacy at Archdiocesan and parish levels
Deaf Retreats are held annually during the second weekend in October. For more information contact Katie Locus (913) 324-5378 videophone (VP).
We have requests for interpreted masses throughout the Archdiocese. If you know of someone who has some sign skills and would be interested in signing the Liturgy, please have them contact Katie Locus.
Funding for this ministry is made possible through the Annual Appeal of the Archdiocese and organizational and private donations.