This annual kick-off event for the Scouting year is geared to Scouts of all ages and their families. Join us for the cooking contest, open-air Mass, activities, and tent camping under the stars. All scouting youth and their families are invited to join us for this fun-filled event! Three campsite areas are provided for family camping (primarily used by Cub Scouts and younger AHG families), ScoutsBSA troops, and American Heritage Girls troops – some stay overnight, some come for the day. Choose what works best for you, your troop and your family!
Date: September 23-25, 2022
Time: The check-in tent opens at 9 am on Saturday. Sunday morning departure after clean up. Camping optional Friday and Saturday night.
Where: Prairie Star Ranch, 1124 California Rd, Williamsburg, KS 66095
Cost: $2/person to attend; optional activity wristbands; free will offerings accepted to support CCS and PSR. Please pay with cash or check written to the Catholic Committee on Scouting upon arrival.
- 1-4 pm CLIMBING WALL & ARCHERY: $20. Sign up for the 1, 2 or 3 pm climbing shift when you purchase your wristband (54 total climbing slots available, attend archery any time 1-4pm)
- ARCHERY ONLY: $10 (18 total wristbands available).
- PSR waivers required for all youth and adults participating in activities
- Troops plan their own free time activities, work on advancements, and bring yard games
- Rosary Trail, 10 Commandments Walk, Adoration, Hiking, Geocaching, BYO Kites and yard games
- NEW THIS YEAR! Fishing Competition (bring your own supplies, pole, tackle, bait), catch a fish, take a picture of you with your fish at the poster by the pond, text the pictures to the judges! Awards after mass!
- Kite Flying (bring your own kite, string, and supplies)
- Youth Cook Off – competition food must be turned in by 4:30 PM. Troops can compete for trophies! Categories include: BBQ, Dutch Oven Meal, Open Category Meal (Not BBQ and not Dutch Oven cooked), Dessert, Judges Choice. Sign up and get your food submission box(es) at the check in table.
- Mass: 6:30 pm Saturday, please wear Class A uniforms, Awards presentation after mass. Please contact Tonya Gast if you can assist with mass music.
- Also New! Glow in the Dark Rosary Stephanie Padley, of AHG, will host a unique glow in the dark Rosary in the big Omega field after mass. Glow sticks provided.
- All personal camping gear, camp chairs or blankets for outdoor mass, flashlights for the walk back to camp
- Class A uniform for mass, class B t-shirts for the day, closed toe shoes, weather appropriate gear
- Camp kitchens and food for your family, Pack or Troop, water is available
- Please do not attend Holy Smokes if you are exhibiting symptoms of Covid or other illness. We will miss you and see you at the retreat in March or at Holy Smokes next year.
- Port-a-potties and hand washing stations available this year.
- As with all social activities, there is an inherent risk that families must assess. Please use good hygiene when cooking and consider camping as family units. Specific regulations are left to each family and scouting unit to establish and regulate.
- Another Archdiocesan group will be on site at PSR when we are there. ALL Holy Smokes participants (youth and adults) will receive a wristband upon check in so you will easily recognize all associated with Holy Smokes.
- IF cancellation is necessary, we will notify all who sent in RSVPs and also post updates to https://archkck.org/scouts and to https://www.facebook.com/KSCatholicScouting
- Camping is only allowed on the Alpha/Omega field just south of the chapel
- No Parking on the field only in the parking lot. You may unload at the field but then move the vehicle and/or trailer
- No ground fires. There are several fire rings available for use on the ranch. You may collect any wood that is on the ground for use. There is a small fee for pre-cut firewood.
- LEAVE NO TRACE – this includes fires and dutch oven cooking
- Have Fun! We are so glad you came!
Cooking Contest Categories:
- BBQ – loosely defined as anything edible actually cooked over an open fire
- Dutch Oven Meal – loosely defined as anything cooked in a Dutch Oven only
- Open Category Meal – loosely defined as anything cooked that was not cooked over a BBQ or with a Dutch Oven i.e. can be foil or any pot or pan method
- Dessert – loosely defined as anything of a dessert nature cooked in a Dutch Oven or any method of your choosing but it must be cooked
- Judges Choice Award – Just like it sounds. An award handed out to an entry just because we can.
Cooking Contest Rules:
- Cleanliness is next to Godliness
- Multiple entries in different categories by the same group or individual are allowed
- Judging is by blind taste i.e. the judges will not know who turned what in
- All items need to be in the judges hands by 4:30 PM. After that time we will eat it but not judge the entry
- Plan on enough food turned in for 6 judges to sample each item
- Judges decisions are final
- Get the kids involved in all cooking as much as possible.
- Have fun!
HOLY SMOKES TIMELINE
- 6:00 PM – (Optional) Arrive, set up camp in designated areas for BSA, family camping, or AHG – cook with your troop or family. Enjoy the great outdoors!
- 11:00 PM – Lights Out PLEASE RESPECT THE PRIVACY OF OTHERS – this is a family friendly event.
- 9:00 AM – Registration tent opens. ALL ADULTS and YOUTH MUST REGISTER AND OBTAIN PARTICIPATION WRISTBANDS, Optional Activity Wristbands for sale, Setup campsites.
- 10:30 AM – Leader’s meeting at CCS Canopy. An adult leader from each troop or group should attend so we can review the days and night activities. Also learn about Religious Emblem courses offered this year.
ACTIVITIES THROUGHOUT THE DAY GaGa Ball, Rosary Walk, Exploring, Cooking! New this year! Fishing Competition! Catch a fish, take your picture next to the poster and text it to the judges to enter your fish!
- 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM Ranch led activities begin – wristbands for 1:00, 2:00 or 3:00 slot for climbing wall and archery.
- 4:30 PM – Turn-in Cooking Contest Entries Categories – BBQ, Dutch Oven Meal,
Other prepared Meal, Dessert, Judges Choice
- 6:30 PM – Mass Omega field (hangar or chapel in case of inclement weather) Cooking and Fishing Competition Awards to follow! Please wear class A uniforms.
After Mass/Dusk – Glow in the Dark Rosary – Omega field
- 11:00 PM – For those remaining at camp, Lights out PLEASE RESPECT THE
PRIVACY OF OTHERS – this is a family friendly event.
Clean up and dismiss at will. Leave No Trace.