This annual kick-off event for the Scouting year is geared to Scouts of all ages and their families. Join us for open-air Mass, activities, and tent camping under the stars. All scouting youth and their families are invited to join us for this fun-filled event! Three campsite areas are provided for family camping (primarily used by Cub Scouts and younger AHG families), ScoutsBSA troops, and American Heritage Girls troops – some stay overnight, some come for the day. Choose what works best for you, your troop and your family!
Date: September 9th-10th, 2023
Time: 12pm – evening
Where: Savior Pastoral Center, 12601 Parallel Parkway, Kansas City, KS 66109
Cost: $10 (includes meal); Cash or Check made out to “Catholic Committee on Scouting”
- Learn more about the Scouts BSA and AHG religious emblems programs
- Learn more about how to apply for the St. George Trek
- Dessert cooking competition, all entries must be prepared on site.
- All personal camping gear, camp chairs or blankets for outdoor mass, flashlights for the walk back to camp
- Class A uniform for mass, class B t-shirts for the day, closed toe shoes, weather appropriate gear
- Camp kitchens and food for your family, Pack or Troop, water is available
- Bring a dessert to share with the group for dinner
- Please do not attend Holy Smokes if you are exhibiting symptoms of Covid or other illness. We will miss you and see you at the retreat in the late winter or at Holy Smokes next year.
- Port-a-potties and hand washing stations available this year.
- As with all social activities, there is an inherent risk that families must assess. Please use good hygiene when cooking and consider camping as family units. Specific regulations are left to each family and scouting unit to establish and regulate.
- IF cancellation is necessary, we will notify all who sent in RSVPs and also post updates to https://archkck.org/scouts and to https://www.facebook.com/KSCatholicScouting
- No ground fires.
- LEAVE NO TRACE – this includes fires and dutch oven cooking
- Have Fun! We are so glad you came!
HOLY SMOKES TIMELINE
- Noon: Gates open
- 2-4pm: Structured activities
- 5pm: Mass (offertory will support CCS)
- 6pm (after mass): Buy a $10 ticket to enjoy a BBQ dinner provided by the CCS or bring your own food to cook)
- 7pm: Entertainment / S’mores (provided by CCS)
- 11pm: Lights out
Camp out in the field, under the stars on Saturday night. Depart Sunday morning by 11am.