We are a community committed to preventing abuse. Our policies and programs prioritize safety of children and the vulnerable.
We care about survivors of abuse.
Victim Care Advocate: (913) 298-9244
Who needs to complete the Archdiocese Safe Environment Screening and Training?
- All Archdiocesan employees, whether working around children or not
- All volunteers who have regular contact with children/youth and could be perceived as an adult in charge and/or all volunteers in ministries serving vulnerable adults.
- Volunteers between the ages of 16 – 18 who volunteer in environments and activities that may include other children. Children under the age of 16 should never be given the responsibility or perceived to be the adult in charge and should always be supervised by an adult who has been screened and trained. Therefore, they should not attend the Protecting God’s Children workshop. For those volunteers under the age of 18, a Parental Permission Form is required and we encourage a parent/guardian attend the same session.
What are the requirements?
The following three requirements must be completed prior to an employee or volunteer start date:
- Complete a Background Screening This is done by an archdiocesan-approved agency and provides a criminal history. This is an important step to screen for a criminal history that might present a danger to children, youth and vulnerable adults. Background screenings are initiated and processed online through the participant’s Virtus® account.
- Acknowledge the relevant Archdiocesan Codes and Policies This step helps ensure that people ministering to our vulnerable understand and agree with our shared principles and standards. The Abuse Prevention Policy and the Acknowledgement is currently signed in conjunction with the background screening process online.
- Complete Sexual Abuse Awareness (Protecting God’s Children) Workshop This training is a live three hour workshop which better equips adults to protect the vulnerable. Sessions are offered throughout the year and at various locations across the Archdiocese. Register at http://www.virtusonline.org.
Register for a Virtus account
where you can:
- Sign up for a Virtus Protecting God’s Children Workshop through your Virtus account
- Submit to a background screening through your Virtus account
- Acknowledge your understanding of relevant Archdiocesan Codes and Policies