Mutually Shared Vision: Revised 2019 & 2020 Key Initiative Goals
The Convocation scheduled for October 2019 is the first step in a new effort of evangelization to expand all facets of parish and Catholic life within the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas.
In 2015 (and updated in 2017), Archbishop Naumann announced the Mutually Shared Vision that would guide planning. As part of this process, three key initiatives were discerned for specific focus. (Click here for the complete document)
Key Initiative #3 is: Cultivate Relationships by engaging in corporal and spiritual works of mercy.
The second goal of this initiative is that by the First Sunday of Advent 2019, each parish, alone or in collaboration with other parishes, will commence outreach that is inclusive and supportive of parishioners with disabilities beginning with participation in faith formation programs (including sacramental preparation) and participation in the liturgy.
- The first four (4) documents listed below are foundational to understanding why Archbishop Naumann has placed greater emphasis on being more attentive to and inclusive of people with disabilities in our parishes.
- The last seven (7) documents help provide context and direction for the conversation that should take place in order to lead to “beyond the demands of maintenance to the challenging adventures of mission.
- Pastoral Statement of U.S. Catholic Bishops on People with Disabilities (1978)
- Guidelines for the Celebration of the Sacraments with Persons with Disabilities (2017)
- Highlights of the Revised Edition of Guidelines for the Celebration of the Sacraments with Persons with Disabilities (2017)
- Welcome and Justice for Persons with Disabilities: A Framework of Access and Inclusion
- Conversation Starters For Participation in the Liturgy