EXEMPT & NON-EXEMPT EMPLOYEE GUIDELINES FOR PARISHES & SCHOOLS
Below are the US Dept. of Labor requirements on Exempt & Non-Exempt Employees.
These guidelines are designed to provide fair wages for employees.
Exempt/Salary Employees – not eligible for overtime:
Employees making less than $455 a week are required to be Hourly/Non-Exempt employees and track time in Paylocity unless they are a certified teacher or ministerial employee.
- Gross Weekly Salary of $455 or more is required; except for certified teachers & ministerial employees
- Managerial Employees – Food Service Management, Building Facilities Management, Full time Music Director, Management Staff
- Professional & Certified Employees – Teachers, Principals, Accountants
- Part time Teachers – State Certified – They are also eligible for a contract.
- Teacher’s Aides & para-educators – Only if certified and paid a minimum of $455 a week.
- Early Education Teachers – who have a degree and are the primary teachers. Assistants are non-exempt/hourly.
- Coaches – who are paid $455 or more a week and have teaching contracts with coaching duties included.
Department of Labor Fact Sheet #17A for Exemption
Non-Exempt/Hourly Employees; Eligible for overtime
The goal is to be sure Non-Exempt employees who are eligible for extra pay and overtime pay have the opportunity to record those hours and to be compensated for those hours.
– Overtime is over 40 hours worked in a calendar week – hours over 40 should be compensated at time and a half.
– The recorded time in Paylocity will be requested in both Federal Dept. of Labor and archdiocesan Audits.
- Employees with a Gross Weekly Salary less than $455 a week must be non-exempt record time.
- Administrative Support Staff
- General Support Staff; Food Service Support Staff, Building Facilities Support Staff, Music Support Staff
- Para-educators & Teacher Aides – (non-certified) -Full-time or Part-time. Not eligible for contracts.
- Coaches – (without a teaching contract that includes coaching)
- Substitute Teachers – Eligible for substitute teaching contracts or agreements. Actual Hours worked during each pay period need to be entered into payroll for Affordable Health Care Act reporting.